Raising Capital: What You Should and Should Not Do During Startup
Raising money for your idea or business to take off sounds more difficult than it actually is, but only if you know where to look and who to become partners with. Whether you have absolutely no money to start out with, or you have quite a bit in the bank, investors are more willing to help those who have the potential rather than how much money they have. Here are a few things that may come as a surprise to you that might help you along the way.
- Do: reach out to your community for a helping hand. Especially if you plan on starting your business in the area of which some people may know you. This gives you the upper hand in getting your name out to neighbor cities and states via friends and family.
- Don’t: don’t be afraid to lease equipment or rent a space for you to start out with the location of your business. Especially if you don’t have all the money upfront to purchase decorations or necessities in your building, this will allow you to check a few things off your list rather quickly during startup.
- Do: consider taking a chance with an angel investor. Depending on your area of startup, angel investors could be scarce or leave you with many opportunities and decisions. Just be careful and keep your options open when trying to reach a middle-ground. Don’t feel like you have to promise them more than you believe you can afford to give them in terms of sharing of profit.
- Don’t: sign up to receive more than a few loans. You may get caught up in asking for so many loans that eventually you forget that you owe them. Yes, asking for loans is something that almost everyone starts out doing; just don’t get carried away with spending money that you don’t have because before you know it, you’ve bitten off more than you could chew.
- Do: Keep it simple in the beginning and don’t worry about making your workplace too fancy. Stay close with potential business partners and keep up with your finances on a day-to-day basis.
You might find that some of these little tips work out for you more than others. All that matters is that you know what’s best for your business and you can grow and eventually become successful while keeping a positive attitude the entire journey there.
Tell us what you think.
There are no comments on this entry.